First off, here are the main factors why I think the Timex Run Trainer will be adequate for most of you:
- It is a GPS watch
- It utilizes the Ant+ wireless signal which is pretty common standard for wireless fitness accessories like a heart rate monitor or footpod
- It is fully waterproof so you can also use it in the rain or to time your swim workouts
- It is compatible with TrainingPeaks, which is a website to log your workouts so you can keep track over time
- For the triathletes, it can also double as a bike computer (with an Ant+ speed/cadence sensor)
Rather than recreate the wheel, you can refer to my one of my favorite blogs, DC Rainmaker for a pretty detailed review of the watch.
So how do you get this watch for $123?
Step 1 - Sign up for VIP status for $1.99 at Roadrunnersports.com
*IMPORTANT: Although the VIP status is only $1.99, it only lasts a year and then auto-renews for $24.99 so be sure to go into your account settings and disable it from auto-renewing.
Step 2 - Now that you have VIP status, you automatically get 10% off your entire order. If you are reading this on Cyber Monday (November 28, 2011), the discount is increased to 20% on almost anything (excluding electronics, that discount is still only 10%). If you need shoes/clothes, this is an incredible deal
Step 3 - Add the Timex Run Trainer to you cart (link). There's actually the option to get it with a heart rate monitor for an additional $40 (link) which is a different of $189 vs $229. I'd recommend getting it with the heart rate monitor but if you just want the GPS watch, it is only $189.
Step 4 - Check out. The discount should be applied to the watch, bringing it down to $170.99
Step 5 - Now comes the manual part. You will have to fill out the rebate form to get a $50 check back from Timex. You can get the rebate form at the link below:
* Rebate expires Dec 31, 2011
So if you do the math:
List Price: $189.99
+ VIP Membership $1.99
Less 10% VIP Discount: $19.00
Less Rebate: $50.00
Final Price: $122.98